Lula’s Birth Story

My baby girl, my first born, is 5 years old today! I’ve had the intention for years of writing down her birth story before I forget any little details. 5 years later I still remember everything! Happy birthday Lula!
I worked until the day before I went into labor. I am a seamstress by trade and at the time was doing many sewing projects at my place of employment. I had such a strong feeling that the next day I wouldn’t be at work and remember telling my coworkers where I was leaving off in the instance they needed to finish the task I was working on incase I was not there the following day. 

It was a Wednesday at 4am in the morning. I woke up with some noticeable wetness and waddled towards the bathroom. A trickle continued down my leg and I woke up my husband to let him know we needed to call the doctor. 
Initially I called the Birthing center at the hospital, which they recommended I wait until 8 am, when the doctors’ office opened. I wasn’t having contractions or in pain so we waited until they opened to call. I couldn’t go back to sleep so my mom (who was staying with us, waiting for the impending birth of her first grandchild) and I made cookies while we waited. 
Once the OB office opened they said to go right in. After the doctor examined me he said that my water did not break and I was only dilated 1 cm! He sent me on my way and I was so disappointed, I cried on the way home. Still not sure if it was just a pinhole and water was escaping but either way something was happening. My husband, Josh, went to work and I went home with my mom. We watched a little tv and ordered subs, eggplant for me which I heard was good for inducing labor. My mom went to pick up the subs and knocked on the back door on our deck to get in. As I was getting up to let her in I felt a pain in my side which then quickly subsided. Another came and went away. “That’s a contraction!”, my mother exclaimed excitedly! And I was so relieved and excited as well!

A little time went on and the pain of the contractions increased. We were right down the duration of each one and time in between. We went up stairs and I put my swimsuit on and sat in a hot bath to help ease the pain, then moved into the spare room and laid on a blue air mattress (I don’t know why I was there and not my bed 😂). I called Josh and he came home shortly after, on the way he picked up an infant car seat because I insisted we get an infant one instead of starting with the convertible one we bought (nothing like waiting until the last minute!)
Once Josh arrived my contractions were 5 min apart and a minute long, so I had him call the OB office and they had me go right in. Upon being checked by Dr. Levine I was 3cm dilated, yay! Time to go to the birthing suite. The nursing staff were so great and accommodating and our room was great. I wanted to labor in my own clothing and had requested a dimly lit room for when it was time to deliver. 

Pain increased and I went from bed to chair, to walking around. At one point I labored in the tub at the hospital and Josh brought his swimsuit so he could be in there also and support me. They offered me a popsicle and I must have passed it to Josh, as he was enjoying the popsicle a contraction was coming on and all I yelled was “HELP ME!” and threw the popsicle across the room. We laughed about it after the whole ordeal but I was a beast during labor. No one was allowed to talk during a contraction. My mom had been helping and after the tub room we went back into our regular room and she was on the phone and I totally yelled at her for it. 
After 11 hours of labor I opted for an epidural. Josh held me and helped me breath through the contractions so they could insert the port. After that it was almost instant relief! They wrapped me in blankets because I was freezing, Josh fell asleep for a couple hours on the pull out couch in our hospital suite and I was able to get rest and sleep off and on when I wasn’t watch the baby’s heartbeat monitor. After about 3 hours the nurses checked me and told me it was time to push!
I pushed for 40 min and she was here! My mom was holding a flash light since I requested a dimly lit room and she was one of the first people who saw Lula enter the world. Josh held my left leg during the pushes and cut the umbilical cord. The nurses suctioned her nose and mouth and she was placed on my chest. She looked up at me with her beautiful eyes and I said “Hi my love! I’m your momma!” She was born at 4:30 in the morning on October 11, 2012 after 15 hours of labor. She was 7 lbs 14 oz and 20″ long. Pure perfection and we fell so in love.

We both took to nursing right away and our bond was forever sealed. This precious little life taught me how to love like I never knew possible and has made me a better person in so many ways! Life before Lula pales in comparison to the life of motherhood I live now. 

Happy 5th Birthday baby girl, mommy is always here to support you and pick you up when you fall. May you always fill the hearts of those you meet and enrich lives of others with your vibrant personality. Stay true to yourself and always know that you are so SO loved! 💗

“Until one becomes a mother, no one can ever tell you what it will feel like to love someone else so deeply and profoundly that you will rejoice when they rejoice, ache when they ache, feel what they feel – even without ever speaking a word.”~ Jennifer Quinn


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s